The Special Educational Needs provision at Passmores is part of a wider ‘Inclusion provision’ which supports our students who experience difficulties in accessing learning. Students who are not making the expected progress in line with their ability are identified through a register of need called the SEN profile. A student can experience a ‘barrier to learning’ at any time during their school career which can be lifelong or temporary.
We believe it is the student and addressing their need which is of importance and not any diagnosis they may have. For example, two students who have the same condition may or may not have SEN. If a student has developed strategies to access the curriculum independently and making good progress without additional resources, they are not considered as having SEN.
We work closely with our primary schools, exchanging information and attending annual reviews, to ensure a smooth and happy transition to Passmores. All Year 7 students are screened for literacy on entry and placed on a Targeted Learning Programme to boost their skills.
Students receive a programme of support individual to themselves, negotiated with both the student and parents in order for students to work to their full potential.
Our objectives are:
- To work in partnership with students and their parents.
- A quick, co-ordinated response to issues with good communication between school and home.
- To support our students discretely, maintaining their self-esteem at all times.
- To focus on and foster a student talents as well as supporting areas in need of development.
- Access to curriculum for all.
- An expectation that all students will reach their academic potential and beyond.
- To promote independent access to the curriculum wherever possible.
Co-educators (specialist learning support assistants) support classes rather than individual students in class. Research has shown that one to one classroom support promotes dependency on adults and prevents engagement by the student with both their class teacher and peers.
We have a number of Co-educators who have specialised in an area of SEN and deliver interventions in the following:
Examples of present interventions led by specialist Co-Educators are:
- Reading accuracy and reading comprehension development
- Spelling and phonic development
- Positive behaviour management through consistent management plans
- Emotional literacy development through the targeted learning team
- Speech and language support including working memory development
- Social communication group work and targeted social skills development
Carrie Crossley –School SENCo